Dr. Ernest Schwiebert
Source: IGFA - International Game Fish Association
On the banks of Au Sable River in Michigan in July of 1959, the National Organization of Trout Unlimited was founded. The men who gathered at the home of George Griffith were discussing the formation of a new organization dedicated to ensuring that wild and native trout populations were allowed to thrive, as nature intended. They also wanted to conserve, protect and restore North America's Trout and Salmon Fisheries and their Watersheds.
15 years later in 1974 the Ernest Schwiebert Chapter of Trout Unlimited #227 was chartered in Trenton, New Jersey. It was named in recognition of Ernie Schwiebert's body of work that benefited Trout and the Fly Fishing community.
Dr. Ernest "Ernie" Schwiebert, an architect by profession, was a renowned fly fisherman, artist, and angling author. A Princeton graduate with two doctorates.
Ernie made many influential contributions throughout his life as an author, architect, and student of the art and science of fly fishing for trout and salmon. He wrote more than a dozen books about fly fishing and architecture.
Ernie was a pioneer in the fishery conservation movement and was involved in the founding of Trout Unlimited, Theodore Gordon Flyfishers and the Federation of Fly Fishers.
He served as a Director of both Theodore Gordon Flyfishers and the Atlantic Salmon Federation, and on the scientific advisory boards of Trout Unlimited, Federation of Fly Fishers and The Nature Conservancy.
Ernest Schwiebert Chapter of Trout Unlimited #227
Founded July 28, 1974 in Trenton, NJ 08607
Chapter Officers in 1974
C. Ben Jelsema
James J. Schulz
James F. Foran
Richard W. Gusciora
Wayne Van Camp